Anyway, I ordered this fabric for her - she LOVES yellow and I tolerate it in small doses, so this was a win/win.
You can see I have marked out the body of the dress - only 2 parts, the front/back (both are cut exactly the same) and the tie.
From this first piece, I retraced it and cut the second piece and cut the tie length ways from the left overs on the side.
I did trim the selvages off before sewing the tie. The ends are sewn and cut at a 45o angle -
The next step was to sew the arms - there are no sleeves so it was a case of double fold over, mind the curve and stitch away...
Then there were the French seams for the sides of the dress - had to carefully match the underarms.
Almost forgot to show the casing for the tie. I decided to double stitch just to be safe...sometimes bear #2 is a little hard on her clothes.
Hem it, put the tie and and hey presto a new dress! But and I quote "Ehhhh, I don't want my face on there!" So a semi faceless shot in rather poor lighting.
A back shot - I really love this dress - despite what her older brother says (we wont go into that now).
The bow! It takes a simply plain dress and turns it into simply gorgeous. So there you have it, a 2-3 hour dress.